In 2002 the City authorized a tax on charges for lodging activity. In order to collect the tax the City was required to form a Lodging Tax Advisory Committee. The committee must consist of at least five members of whom at least two are representatives from businesses that collect the tax, at least two which are persons involved in activities funded by the tax, and one member appointed from the City Council who acts as the chair. The Committee conducts an annual process to solicit and recommend Lodging Tax funded services for the City Council's consideration.
Click here to view a Policy Statement that provides details on the use of LTAC Funds
The committee meets as needed to discuss and make recommendations to the City to advocate for the protection and enhancement of tourism assets in various City planning documents that address issues within the Airway Heights City limits. The committee encourages and advocates for the growth and development of diverse tourism businesses that reflect the community's values and assets. The committee works to assure that the best interests of the Airway Heights tourism industry are represented in the consideration of any legislation that could directly or indirectly affect that industry and recommends and supports programs that ensure the continued sustainability of the lodging tax revenues.
Click Here for more information on LTAC Grant Program
To invest in activities and facilities that increase tourism related revenue through a sustainable visitor experience.
- Focus on developing a unique Airway Heights experience.
- Improve the visitor experience.
- Fully utilize existing facilities.
- Promote creative uses of existing facilities.
- Promote partnerships through coordination and cooperation.
- Improve the visitor / resident relationship.
AREAS OF EMPHASIS
Promoting tourism that typifies the "best of Airway Heights" - its history, the connection to Fairchild Air Force Base, Spokane International Airport, the historical significance to the region's native American Tribes, the area's geology, outdoor activities, culture and arts.
- Amplify the "Voice of the Visitor" in the civic dialogue on downtown/highway corridor street scene concerns and partner organizations on the corridor beautification initiative.
- Supporting public art projects that enhance the experience of the visitor and highlight historical and cultural significance of the area.
- Supporting and encouraging outdoor recreation as a prime community asset and tourism draw.
- Identify and encourage development of new products, services and infrastructure that attracts and serves visitors.
- Support the development of marketing and other tools that facilitate tourist's exploration of the area.
A successful tourism program requires community involvement and has something in it for everyone. Planning by business and community leaders is critical to establishing acceptable tourism development strategies. The challenge is to identify, develop and evaluate resources within a community to provide for and facilitate visitor experiences while maintaining and improving the quality of life for residents.
While tourism has become more and more important as an economic development tool, one result has been increased competition. Small communities that were never in the tourism game are now actively competing to attract tourists.
Use the links provided below to access LTAC Grant documents.
- The City of Airway Heights is currently searching to fill a vacant Planning Commission Seat
08/29/2022 9:38 AMdetail
- Airway Heights Branding Survey
Airway Heights is in the process of developing a new logo and wants to hear from you!
08/08/2022 9:44 AMdetail
- Airway Heights Transportation Benefit District seeks volunteers
Airway Heights Transportation Benefit District recently approved a resolution to place a ballot proposition on the November 8, 2022 General Election ballot. If approved by voters, the funding will be used for street construction and maintenance, sidewalks and projects designed to relieve traffic congestion.
07/28/2022 11:49 AMdetail
- WE HAVE MOVED!!!
Please come visit us at 13120 W 13th Ave on Thursday, July 21, 2022
07/19/2022 3:04 PMdetail
- NEW CITY HALL HOURS!!!
City Hall has new hours after our move to the Main floor of the Municipal Court / Council Chambers Building on 7/20/22.
- Micro Mobility Provider Lime Launches in Airway Heights
Micro mobility provider Lime has launched it's multimodal fleet in Airway Heights. This fleet of multimodal vehicles will include both electric bikes and scooters.
07/14/2022 9:39 AMdetail