Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in this country. Everyone needs to be aware of steps that can be taken to lessen the threat that this crime could happen to you.
The Washington State Attorney General web site contains information on steps to take for prevention and actions to take if it has happened to you.
The United States Postal Service Postal Inspector Service also provides information on identity theft.
Reduce your risk.
- Get rid of pre-approved credit offers
- Call 1-888-5-OPTOUT (678688)
- You can opt out for two years or permanently
- Consider opting out of information shared with your existing credit and utility accounts.
- ConsumerAffairs has resources to for free and paid methods of Identity Protection
- Retirement Living has additional information for Seniors
- Alarms.org has some information on how to prevent ID theft as well as steps to take if it occurs.